Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Vegetarianism

There has been growing awareness that we should opt for a more vegetable based diet compared to one that is heavy in meat.


Presently, there are those amongst us who have chosen a vegetarian diet for health reasons. There are also those of us who do so due to religion.


While I tend to agree that we should take more veg compared to meat. I must say, however, that I'm not an expert on this subject.


But I do know this.


The Indians and westerners generally go for real vegetables like greens, legumes, tofu etc.


We Chinese on the other hand, subscribe to the Taiwanese style of vegetarian food which comprise a lot of artificial or processed stuff that we pass off as vegetarian food. And when people start realizing that it's fake stuff, some of these producers then switch to organic or make claims that theirs are soya based and not chemical based. That's just self justification to keep the ball rolling. The mind hears what it wants to hear. But I must say this:- "Excellent marketing on the Taiwanese side. You managed to blindside an entire religion's followers" whatever-lah.


I am not saying its bad though IMHO I think if you want to go vegetarian, you should go for the real stuff instead of the fake processed stuff.


However, I would like to bring our attention to the following:-


Those who take vegetarian food for religious purposes still call their dishes meat names. So I don't know how that adds up in religion...know what I mean? The religion says loving kindness and compassion therefore no killing of animals for food, but they call their artificial veg dishes meat names like vegetarian roast pork. Hmmm...


In my view, 3 things here:-
1. From energy perspective, calling it meat names still means meat. So much for compassion and non-attachment etc.


2. Those fake stuff will probably kill you faster than if you take a normal diet with little bit of real meat but more veg and fruits.


3. Some of these vegetarians can't even watch their mouths i.e. the words they use, gossip, back stabbing etc. So if you take veg diet but talk a lot of trash and hurtful things to others then I don't think you are cleansing your soul.


A spiritual master once said, "what comes out of the mouth is more important than what goes into the mouth". Very wise indeed.


Well... This is just me speaking my mind. We're all entitled to our own opinions and I don't mind hearing some of it. :-)


Related post:
Vegetarianism Pt2

No comments:

Post a Comment